Saturday, January 29, 2011

A New Language

So far, Project. B. has rehearsed three times this month for a total of six hours.  I can't help but look at other dance companies and wonder how great it would be to meet for at least three hours at a time and at least three times a week.  One of my dancers, Chin-chin, was joking around with the other dancers during a direction I gave regarding manipulating movement and said, "Come on! Don't you know you have to be a smart dancer to dance for Tanya...."  I must say, I love how each one of them have such a great sense of humor and taunt each other.  



Dancers:  Chin-chin Hsu,Yu-Mien Wu
But looking deeper at the comment itself, I do find myself with all these ideas I want to explore.  I see the movement on their bodies, I get excited, I want to rework it, mold it, and direct it in a way where I see my vision coming to life.  I look at the time and 2 hours go by so quickly.  How can I do everything I want to see in that time frame?  The only answer I can come up with is- Hire intelligent dancers.  


So in 6 hours of rehearsals this month, I was able to create the beginnings of a piece.  Through several base phrases, we played with variations.  Through those variations and base phrases, we made a language.  I feel very blessed having the dancers I have.  They are quick, witty, and amazing technicians who are able to do anything that is asked of them.  They give so much for me to play with and I am so thankful for that.  


In February, the entire company is called back for rehearsal.  I can't wait to see the possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment