Sunday, January 23, 2011

Conversations at Dinner

Dieter Rams, Jonathan Ive, and their designs
Last night, my husband and I had dinner at a friend's.  One of the topics of conversation was about a man named, Jonathan Ive.  From our architect friend, we learned that Jonathan Ive is the Principal designer for many of the Apple products and that in researching more about him that he was heavily influenced by a German functionalist designer Dieter Rams.  Our friend spoke about how Jonathan Ive seems to have found his vision and that his eye for design, although revolutionary to many, is actually deeply rooted in influences by his mentors.

As a dancer and now choreographer, rehearsals seem to be that process of finding out what my aesthetic and vision is.  I can't deny that my work is heavily influenced by my mentors and sometimes fight the movement that may stylistically resemble what in the past I have danced.  This to me, is the biggest struggle of all.  How much can I deny what has influenced me and why should I deny it?  It has made me the artist I am today and what drew me to their work is why at this point in my life I want to create my own work.  So in talking with our friend, he gave me a gift.  He made me realize that someone like Jonathan Ive found his niche because he distinguished what it was that influenced him in his work.  I shouldn't deny myself the freedom to create what comes naturally in my body.  In that self-expression, there might be a glimpse of my own aesthetic and my own vision. Through exploration, I will only be one step closer to finding it.  I may never realize that I found it but I don't know if that is as important as giving myself the freedom to create without boundaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment