Monday, February 13, 2012

MEET CHIN-CHIN HSU PERFORMING IN SOL Y SOMBRA FEBRUARY 17-18, GARAGE 8 PM

                                      

BUY YOUR TICKETS NOW!
https://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/214316

Where are you from?
Kaohsiung, Taiwan

Where did you study?
Lin-Ya Middle school, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Tso-ying High School, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
New World School of the Arts, Miami, FL

How long have you been dancing?
It all started at the age of 5, so it's been 20 years!!

What got you into dancing?
When I was 5, I accidentally saw a dance class when I was walking down the street in Chinatown with my family. I peaked into the studio and heard the teacher calling the girls "little butterflies"; I thought to myself....."why am I not a butterfly? I can jump just like those girls!!". I turned around and told my parents: "I have to be a butterfly!!!". The following week, they sent me into the "magical butterfly world". :D
Soon after that, I came to a realization that I wasn't a butterfly, I was just simply a ordinary girl who is in love of moving my body.

What dancer(s) or people inspire you?
Soooo many.......The Project. B. crew has the most awesome dancers and choreographer to be surrounded and get inspired!
My husband, Kiké, who inspires me all the time in my every-day life; my parents, brother and sister in Taiwan, who are always the spirits I carry with me wherever I go.

What inspires you to keep on dancing?
I always thought it's beautiful to express myself through the body my parents have given me. No matter where I land in the world, I am always dancing a trio (with mom & dad) whenever I move my body. The thought of connecting with my roots when I move has inspired me to continue dancing.

Who are your role models?
My mama = super woman

Outside of dancing professionally, do you have any hobbies or other interests?
I LOVE FOOD! I call it my "useless talent", so much training yet not paid.
By the way, I can also play violin and piano.

Have you ever used your talents for the good of the community?
I enjoy sharing my knowledge with the young seeds in the community. I am a teacher in ODC's youth program and a Chinese martial art/ creative movement teacher with Performing Arts Workshop. I also participate as a choreographer for different Chinese bilingual schools for the Chinese Parade every year in San Francisco. Once a year or two, I travel back to Taiwan to share and deliver my pockets of knowledge with dancers in my hometown, Kaohsiung.

What was your most embarrassing dance moment?
I haven't had any embarrassing dance moment in my life YET (Thank God), and hope it will never happen. But I can share one embarrassing story that happened when I was in dance school (middle school). We had to wear uniforms for school, and for the girls, were white shirt and skirt. One day during the recess, I went to the bathroom just as any other normal day, the only difference was a lot of people were laughing behind me when I was walking back to the classroom from the bathroom. I didn't think too much since it was recess, laughing and giggling were expected. 5 minutes after I arrived the classroom, my best friend came next to me and whispered in my ear: "Chin, you tucked the skirt inside your underwear"........................

No comments:

Post a Comment